10 Easy Steps to Look Younger in the New Year!
It seems that the secret for looking youthful has been a universal quest since the beginning of time. In fact, the study of epigenetics and bio-identical hormone therapy are just two of the areas that many researchers are interested in to find ways to slow down the aging process.
There are some techniques that have been implemented, but the most important things for us to do are being consistent in implementing a healthy lifestyle and eating habits. A new you is easier than you believe possible!
We can’t stop Mother Nature, but we can still look younger if we want to be more mindful and follow some simple steps to slow down the aging process.
Here are 10 easy steps to help you look and feel younger starting today!
- Detox: It’s important to start detoxification, getting rid of toxins from our bodies. Our body’s metabolism naturally helps to detoxify itself, but we are exposed to so many more chemical hazards from air, food, environment and even topicals, (like our skincare and make-up), that we need to assist our system in doing extra detoxification occasionally. Four great ways to improve your body’s natural ability to detoxify are increasing water consumption, fasting, sweating and using an infrared sauna.
- Sleep: Having enough sleep, at least 6-8 hours a day, will make our skin healthier. Having a restful and restorative sleep is beneficial for many reasons, but one is because our regenerative growth hormones work best during that time. Our skin will look more youthful if our body gets enough rest. Try using a FitBit to analysis your sleep quality.
- Food: Eating NONGMO, healthy and safe whole foods every day will make our body fit, slim, and also look and feel younger. Try to eat more wild caught fish instead of red meat, but if you do like red meat, choose grass fed when possible. High fiber foods, vegetables, fruits, and quality supplements are critical to consume on a daily basis. Drink less caffeinated beverages and more clean, filtered water.
- Exercise: Through routine exercise, we will feel happier, energetic, and confident. Weight bearing exercise also increases our bone density and muscle mass, which can make our body look 15-20 years younger.
- Relax and Reduce Stress: Like it or not, stress and worries appear on our face. By connecting to nature and adding a meditation or breathwork practice, you will find your face will look younger naturally. Aiming to manage stress and feel at peace will do wonders for your mental and physical health.
- Be Positive: Reframe your negative thoughts and focus on having a more positive mindset. Try journaling, start a daily gratitude practice and find positive affirmations to assist in a happier outlook. Unfortunately, negative thoughts are natural and unavoidable sometimes. It is hard to believe that this alone can attracts more negativity toward you and even make you look older.
- Medical Check-Up: Just like a car, our body also needs regular attention and care so it can work well and maintain its optimal health. Having routine medical checkups, including mammograms and blood work can deal with health issues before they become too big to handle.
- Active Lifestyle: Make it a goal to move often and not become a “couch potato”. Try limiting your TV and social media time. Get a stand-up desk if you have an office job. Join an athletic team sport. It can be as mellow as bocce, pickleball, bowling and golf or tennis, softball or a running club.
- Social Life: A happy social life can increase our spirit, bring a peaceful mind, and make us feel and look younger. Daily communication with our friends, family, neighbors, colleagues, and others can improve our outlook on life and bring a smile to our face, which always makes of look younger!
- Appearance: Take an honest look at your skin, hair, nails and teeth. These are important indicators of health. If you need to “Up Your Game”, make some appointments with your esthetician, hairdresser and dentist. Let the experts guide you toward improving your daily home care and personal appearance. If you are interested in nontoxic skincare with clinically proven ingredients, head over to LIV + GRACE SKINCARE and find your skin type to explore the best skincare for you. Our founder, Holistic Aesthetician, Cindy O’Brien has spent over 16 years focused on effective, ultra clean beauty and successfully caring for her esthetic clients. Remember, if you care about what you eat and staying healthy, you should also care about what you ingest topically. It honestly is never too late to turn over a 'new leaf' and live a better life.